Saturday, January 2, 2010

Where do I stand?

After a couple of day scouring for Nook reviews, it's time to step back and see where I stand.

First of all, I am more convinced than ever it is time for me to move to E-Books. There is a large selection and some good deals there (like the free book I just downloaded!).

And I am also sure I want to stick to the Kindle or the Nook -- I believe one or the other will be the basis for E-Readers for a while. Since I've been leaning towards the Nook, I'll present the pros and cons of the Nook (vice the Kindle).

Pros:

  • Compatible with more E-Book formats (I think this will become more important as E-Books settle on a format)
  • Can use books I can download from my library (I live across the street from the library, so downloading books at $9.99 is about $9.99 more than I currently spend on most books).
  • Screen reported to be slightly better than Kindle (not sure why as I think they use the same screen)
  • Android-based (I expect we'll see Barnes and Noble and others take advantage of this over the next year)
  • Better capability that might come in useful (wi-fi, removable microSD card, etc).
  • I generally like the look better than Kindle.
  • Quick release of software upgrade indicates Barnes and Noble is working the known issues (see below)
Cons
  • Obviously released with Beta software. Update to 1.1 seems to have helped a lot, but really is unforgivable.
  • Less battery life (note I plug most of my gadgets in every night so not as much an issue with me).
  • Amazon clearly has lower priced books -- although this may change.
  • PDF viewing (which I plan to use) reported to be poorer than Kindle's
  • Slow page turning (?) - did 1.1 fix this? The one I played with at Barnes and Noble seemed fine.
  • TAX - I live in California,  I pay about $25 more for Nook because of sales tax.
Bottom line -- I think I am going to continue to wait it out for a Nook. Why? Two reasons:

First, the book availability seems better on the Nook (from other sources than Barnes and Noble).

Second, I think Barnes and Noble is going to clean up the software and work hard to make the Nook overtake the Kindle, which will result in lower prices and better usability on the Nook.

But, I'll keep looking. I'd really like to start seeing more recent reviews and hands-on experiences with the Nook, especially the post-software update and from people who have used it extensively through the Holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment